The bowling rinks were originally owned by Hodgsons Tannery which was located just over the road and were the match rinks for the Bowling Section of Hodgsons sports and recreation club.
After the closure of the tanning works the land was acquired by the local authority and when Flemingate Bowling Club was formed these rinks were leased from the authority.
In 1991 The Beverley Race Course Company kindly donated one of their sectional buildings to the club for use as a club house, this much used facility of the club receives much tender loving care and was at the heart of the Bowling Club.
Following a successful grant application to the East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s Commuted Sums in 2017/18 a new clubhouse has brought us modern facilities that can be used throughout the year.
Flemingate Bowling Club’s Green in 1928 (largely obscured by trees) photo courtesy of Britain from Above